Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow-bound Saturday

It is the great "Snowpocalypse" 2010, and it harkens me back to 1978... What a great time that was-- many snow days in a row, lots of hot chocolate and popcorn, snow forts (Snow cave for us that lasted until mid-April) snow people, and of course, the snow fights that became all-out snow seiges. Our parents had to haul us in from all over the neighborhood, almost frost-bitten, snot frozen onto our faces, fingers threatening never to curl into a fist again... Those were the good old days! Now I watch as my "Tiny Biney" (as I"ll call her here for her privacy's sake) comes in every 1/2 hour because as a parent I am taught to be overly cautious. Anti-baterialize everything, don't leave her outside, unwatched, even for a minute, and never, ever, let her get too cold/too hot... wow-- it's no wonder our children grow up with a laundry list of stomach ailments. Look at the worries/stress we place upon them
Do you remember when we played on playgrounds that were made on top of cement? Seriously! I played on monkey bars that were placed over hard, cold, cement. I fell many times. I still live. (And the headaches come from an accident during which I was run off the road by a 35 foot fire department pumper truck while they were on an assist to an EMT run. I was driving my moped while wearing my helmet (it's why I can write this today), and suffered 2 severely broken bones, and a contra cou concussion. But nothing playground/cement related.
Speaking of helmets, back in the day when I first got my skateboard, we wore no pads and no helmets (and also not with bikes). Did my father, a physician, fix children up everyday who had horrendous accidents on skateboards/bikes because they didn't wear protective gear? Yes. Did I wear it? No. Seriously... Even if I could have found it where I lived, I was enough of a nerd with the extra help, thank you very much.

So, I'm on day 3 of my migraine adventure. I think I'd rather be journeying through Dante's circles of Hell... Still with the migraines everyday, I just am getting them on a larger scale, thanks to the fact that I can't have Excedrin. I am now taking Imitrex on a daily basis, along with the nausea medicine, and so think I'll call the doctor Monday, since that just seems wrong, somehow...
Friday I had my migraine Botox done. That seems to help a little, and at this point, as long as it isn't hurting me more, or involving ingesting more meds, I'm all on board with it.

Outside my window, I can hear the shovels scraping, clearing the snow. Some nice Mormon boys from up the street are helping with snow removal. I think that having really wonderful neighbors is such a blessing. I'm going to sign off and take them some hot chocolate and a donation. Good acts of kindness are rare and these boys should have a little reward for theirs.

Tomorrow is another day for things to be better and brighter.

Oh, PS, Seriously, how awesome is Caprica?!? I watched the first generation Battlestar Galactica, and couldn't bring myself to watch the new version... But after seeing Caprica, I feel I may have done myself a disservice, and will now go back and watch it on DVD, if it's available.



No comments:

Post a Comment